The Gauteng Department of Education wishes to announce that Gauteng City Region Academy (GCRA) Bursary applications for the 2023 academic year will open on 1 November 2022 and close on 28 February 2023.
It is important to note that candidates who seek to apply must be South African citizens between the ages of 18 to 35 years old, who reside and have completed their matric in Gauteng. Candidates must also be students who have been accepted to study an undergraduate or postgraduate qualification at a Higher Education Institution.
Key requirements when applying for the GCRA Bursary are:
• Certified SA ID copy
• Proof of Gauteng residence (water and electricity bill from the municipality or letter from the ward councillor)
• Certified statement of results
• Academic record (only for current undergraduate in 2nd year, 3rd year, etc. and postgraduate students)
• Certified copies of parents/guardians ID copies (death certificate in case of deceased parent/s)
• For single parent households, please provide an affidavit done by the responsible parent/guardian
• Certified proof of both parents/guardians payslips (if unemployed, provide affidavit proving unemployment or SASSA letter)
• Motivational letter written by applicant
• Proof of acceptance/registration from higher education institution
• Disability/medical report if applicable
All documents must be certified (not older than 3 months) and be uploaded in PDF format.
To apply, candidates must register online on https://gcrabursary.gauteng.gov.za with a valid email address, which will be used as a username.
Once registered, candidates will be required to choose from three different Bursary Types:
• Top Achiever
• Top 3 Non-Fee Paying Schools
If candidates do not fall under any of these categories, then they must choose between the following two categories:
• Financial Assistance
• Renewals/Reinstatement (only regarded as Renewal if a candidate is continuing with their undergraduate qualification, Masters or PhD)
We are excited to announce that this year’s GCRA Bursary application system will be zero-rated, meaning no data will be required for applicants to access and navigate through the system.
“Applicants must ensure that they meet the key requirements and upload all the necessary documents for their application to be considered. We implore young people who meet the criteria to apply for the GCRA Bursary as it is an amazing opportunity to further your studies without having to worry about finances,” said Gauteng Education MEC Matome Chiloane.
Issued by the Gauteng Department of Education